Seared Scallops with Blood Orange-Shallot Sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-¼ lb. dry-packed sea scallops, side muscles removed
- 1 blood orange, squeezed to yield ¼ cup juice
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
Pat the scallops dry and season on both sides with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Heat 1Tbs. of the butter and the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the foam from the butter subsides. Add the scallops and cook, undisturbed, until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip...