Simple Poached Pears
- 6 (2-inch) lemon rind strips (optional)
- 6 firm Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and halved
- 1 (2-inch) lemon rind strip
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Poire Williams or other pear liqueur
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add 1 rind strip. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Remove pears from pan with a slotted spoon; cover and chill. 2. Bring cooking liquid to a boil over high heat; cook until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup (about...