Slow-Cooked Broccoli with Garlic & Pancetta
- ¼ tsp. dried red chile flakes
- 3 oz. pancetta, sliced ¼ inch thick and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-wide pieces (½ cup)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-¼ to 1-½ lb. broccoli (about 1 bunch)
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
- 8 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Tear off any broccoli leaves and trim the bottoms of the stems. Cut the florets just above where they join the large stem, and then cut each floret through its stem (but not the buds) so that each piece is about 1/4 inch thick at the stem end. Using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, peel the to...