Smoked Haddock Soup
- *If smoked haddock is unavailable, substitute smoked cod or mackerel. Alternatively, use fresh haddock, cod, or halibut, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups total).
- 2 whole dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 2 large leeks
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 10 sprigs fresh rosemary
- + 5 more ingredients
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- 1 pound smoked haddock, flaked*
- 20 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10- by 10-inch square of cheesecloth, kitchen string
Wrap the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns in the cheesecloth and secure with the kitchen string. Set aside. In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and fennel and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the heavy cream and ...