Smoked Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 2 lb. ripe tomatoes, cored
- Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chile in adobo (or other hot sauce), or to taste
- A few drops of balsamic vinegar
Light a charcoal grill, using enough coals to make a hot fire on one side of the kettle. Fill a container with 2 cups of wood chips (use heavy-duty foil to make an open package, or use a small cast-iron pan or steel chip box). Fit the cored tomatoes snugly in a disposable aluminum cake pan. Tuck ...