Smooth & Silky Potato Purée
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Pinch freshly grated mace or nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. salt; more for seasoning
- 7 oz. (14 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup hot whole milk
- 2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
Put a large pot of water on high heat. Add the potatoes and salt and bring to a boil. Boil just until a skewer or knife can easily penetrate the center of the potatoes, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes. Pass them through the fine disk of a food mill back into the pot in which they were cooked...