Spicy Tomato Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- a 28-to-32 ounce can plum tomatoes including the juice, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
1. In a heavy saucepan cook the onion and the garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until they are golden, add the tomatoes with the juice, the sugar , the red pepper flakes, and salt to taste, and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until it is thickened. (The t...