Toasted Barley and Asparagus "risotto"
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ½ cup chopped arugula or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 8 ½ cups (about) canned vegetable broth
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- + 3 more ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 12 ounces asparagus, trimmed, cut into ¾-inch pieces
1. Cook asparagus in pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water and cool. Drain. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) 2. Stir barley in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer b...