Tomato, Cucumber, and Pickled-Onion Salad
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil, larger leaves torn
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
1. Toss onion with vinegar in a small nonreactive bowl. Cover, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. 2. Place onion with vinegar, tomatoes, and cucumber on a platter. Drizzle with oil, and top with basil. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.