Waffled Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 large square or rectangular electric waffle iron (not a Belgian waffle iron)
- 8 thin slices boiled ham (1/4 lb)
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese (1/4 lb)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 slices firm white sandwich bread
Preheat waffle iron on high until just beginning to smoke. Reduce heat to moderate and brush generously with some butter. Spread butter on 1 side of 8 bread slices and turn slices over. Top 4 slices with 1 slice ham and 1 slice cheese, folding in any overhang, then top with remaining 4 buttered b...