Smoked Salmon on Belgian Endive with Crème Fraîche& Chives
- ½ medium lemon
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, sliced diagonally into ¼-inch segments
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ lb. thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-wide strips
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche (available in the specialty cheese section of some supermarkets)
- 4 large heads Belgian endive, preferably a mix of green and red endive
Discard any damaged outer endive leaves. Trim the root end and separate the leaves. You should end up with 35 to 40 large leaves (save the small inner leaves for a salad). Arrange the leaves on a baking sheet. Put the crème fraîche in a squeeze bottle or a small piping bag. You can also make a p...