Shrimp and Black-Eyed Pea "Croquettes"
- 2 large eggs
- 1 deep-fat thermometer
- 1 medium onion
- 2/3 cup dried black-eyed peas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- + 4 more ingredients
- 1 ½ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 3 bottled red malagueta peppers
- 24 medium shrimp in shell (3/4 lb), peeled, leaving tail and first segment of shell intact, and deveined
- 6 cups vegetable oil
Soak peas in water to cover by 2 inches at least 8 hours and up to 12. Drain in a colander. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Pulse peas, onion, cilantro, peppers, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely chopped, then tran...